15 August 2008

First Day of School

First, let me just say, THE OLYMPICS ARE KILLIN' ME! I had to get that off my chest. I stay up way too late to watch, and if it was an event like last night (women's gymnastics all-around competition), I'm so keyed up and aggravated, it takes me forever to get to sleep. Then the obnoxious alarm goes off way before I think it should, and it's time to start school. I'll be glad when the games are over, although I'm sure I'll find something else to keep me up and then will complain then as well.

Yesterday, we started our first day of home school. I had a blast. The kids may not have, but it's not about them anyway, is it? I'm just kidding of course. Heath started his first day of Kindergarten. He sure makes a cute little guy starting school! He worked very hard and was rewarded at the end of the day with a first day of Kindergarten award.
I also had a child start second grade this year. Daniel decided geography was pretty fun after all, but still isn't sure he likes math. He did enjoy getting to draw, and cannot wait until we start our art lessons. We'll see how that goes, since this non-art person is his teacher. Give me some fabric and a pattern any day, but a blank piece of paper, and a pencil, and I just freeze up. Don't really enjoy it much either, but we do what we must for the betterment of our children.


Miss Sassy, a.k.a. Jeffie Jean, started third grade. Blows my mind. I remember how old I thought I was in third grade. She is blooming right before my eyes, and becoming her own person. Don't get me wrong, she's never been one to need someone else's opinion, and has always done what she wants. But now instead of just doing the opposite of what someone else said, she thinks through things, and forms her own opinions and thoughts. And she is really thriving in our new format and curriculum for school. I'm not one to advertise or tote brands, but the curriculum put together by "MY FATHER'S WORLD", is really good. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

And then after Jeffie, I come to my oldest. I don't know if I should cry, pout, beam, or shout. Fifth grade. Fifth grade people. My son will soon be "two whole hands" old. He is so excited about this whole double digit thing. I told him the newness of that wears out really quick. And look at him.
It's just so wrong. In this picture, he is taking notes from our science lesson about environments. He shocked himself at his own ability, and that his most loathed subject (writing), wasn't a hindrance.

Then you have out little ones. What a mess they were yesterday. Terry was bound and determined to go to school too. Paulee was equally determined to make sure we didn't forget her presence.

Oh, and they weren't always this cute. We were constantly trying to keep Terry out of the crayons, pencils, and what-not. Paulee entertained herself with the contents under my kitchen sink, telephone, and other odds-and-ends. And then they began to tag team. At one point I realized there was just a stillness about the house that was screaming warnings to this mom. It wasn't quiet, just still. I head to the living room to find them both wearing my sunglasses at the same time. Terry ripped them off and ran away screaming. Paulee joined in the fun by rolling all over the floor laughing and screaming as loud as she could. Now tell me, how did she know to laugh at the situation? She's just 12 months old! Not long afterward, they get real giggly. We're talking way too much laughter for anything normal. What do I find? Paper clips. Everywhere.

The picture doesn't do the mess justice. They were "sorting", and counting them. "Two, two, two, two,...". And when I walked in the room? Terry immediately jumps up, shakes his finger at Paulee and declares, "Lolly, no no!" We had so much fun yesterday!

And if I end up with any calls to China to wish the Olympians good luck, I'll be writing and asking for help to defray the cost!

2 comments:

Granny Sue said...

I have the most brilliant and beautiful grandchildren (those in MO and GA included of course!) in the world! HOW BLESSED AM I! Thanks soooooooooooo much for posting this blog! It almost feels like we're there.

Gram said...

What a great first day. Hopefully most will be this way. Two of the pictures of Paulee and Terry didn't post well. May be my settings. Maybe you could just email me all of these pictures?